Monday, April 6, 2009

Weekend in my own paradise (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sounds silly, I know. But truly what is bliss? It is defined by each
individual and sometimes defined moment by moment. Here lately it is
defined by peace.

Saturday at 730am (begrudgingly) we gathered at FUMC-RR for the District
YEAH, "Labor for your Neighbor". I had asked that our kids be split from
me.. two reasons--so that they could branch out and talk to other adults and
children... and so I could hang out with kids that don't automatically hate
me because I am family.

We made sandwiches, and received our vehicle assignments and the directions
to the homes that each team would paint. The day was windy and cool at
first, but it warmed up seemingly in direct proportion to our spirits. My
team was mostly teen girls in middle school. We did have three middle
school boys and I felt bad for them, it seemed that no matter what they
said or did -- the girls would not respond to them. NO answering of
questions, no laughing at jokes.. just general cold shouldering. How tough
it must be to be a middle school boy. I encouraged the girls to be a
little less self absorbed and at least be courteous to the boys. All in
all, we had a hard working group and since our house required very little
scraping (comparatively) we were finished early.

Krysta and Robin were on a team together, and through my network of
informants (otherwise known as group leaders or adults) I learned that they
were both working very hard, but that Robin was still not talking as of 11
am. As their day progressed I also learned that they had all of the
rambunctious, loud, obnoxious kids. The ones that threw handfuls of paint
and were not actively working to complete the job. Perhaps God was using
this to teach my teens tolerance and patience?? Hmmm......

Tyler was on the high school team and they finished relatively early also.
They drove over to help the middle school team but decided against it when
they say the level of co-operation or lack thereof. I can't blame them for
not wanting to help when the kids present wouldn't help themselves.

It seems to me, in my quiet observation of the youth groups that there is a
glaring blaring absence of men. Not to say that there aren't any.... but
there are very few. The kids recognize the impact of those few. Robin
actually said "Man I wish I had been on Mr. Anthony's team. He doesn't put
up with this sort of bull." If we all know that children prefer authority
and structure, even if they can't/don't express it...shouldn't we work
harder to give it to them? I am sad to say that it may not be long, before
we seek a more structured; calm; and reverent church youth program. There
are too many families dropping their kids off and then leaving! The
atmosphere is just crazed.

This brings me to a sidebar about American society as a whole... we have
devalued men. Truly, we act as if children don't need fathers; women don't
need husbands; and girls can do anything as well as- if not better than
boys. It is true that women/girls should not be discouraged in any
undertaking, as if they were inferior to the opposite sex-- but honestly...
we are different. Made to be different. It's in the bible. I promise.
Besides, when did we stop appreciating the men fight and die, so that we
don't HAVE to? That men are different from us, in that they should be
expected to be our best "girlfriends" -- they are our partners, our
companions, our counterparts.... but they ARE MEN! They are inherently
different from us. -- Perhaps a bit more on this later...

Sunday was blessed; I cooked french toast and bacon for us (and the dog);
and we had two visitors with us at church. Robin took his girlfriend and
Krysta took a friend from school. Tyler ran that video system for the
sanctuary at the 830 in the sanctuary. They we went about our day,
shopping, picnicking in the park, playing with the dog; going to the movies
and resting. It was nice to not have any internal fights and arguments. No
Nagging..

But alas, it is Monday. Back to the GET UP FOR SCHOOL; DO YOUR HOMEWORK;
STUDY; PLEASE DO YOUR CHORES; HEY< YOUR LAUNDRY BASKET IS OVERFLOWING!

Plus..we are FUNDRAISING< SO GET OUT THERE AND SELL COOKIE DOUGH!


No comments: